Winter is soup season! Soups are so versatile, quick and easy to make. This is my go-to winter meal, it makes for an easy dinner or warming lunch. The cashews add a subtle creaminess to this soup and help to make it more satiating.
Broccoli is a nutritional super star, and this soup ensures a big serving. Broccoli is rich in vitamin C, which is important for a healthy immune system and glowing skin, and contains high levels of vitamin K — a nutrient needed for optimal bone health. Broccoli also contains chromium, a mineral essential for healthy blood sugar level control. One of the most amazing elements of broccoli is that is contains a phytonutrient called sulforaphane, which helps the liver to produce the enzymes it needs for efficient detoxification.
GREEN WINTER SOUP
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 head of broccoli, chopped
2 cups of spinach, chopped
6 kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped
2 L chicken or vegetable stock
⅔ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1 cup parsley
3 tbsp coconut oil
salt and pepper
1. Sauté onions and celery in coconut oil.
2. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add vegetables and stock to the pan, and cook until vegetables are just tender. Once cooked, leave to cool for 30-45 minutes.
4. Add cashews, parsley and salt and pepper to the vegetables and blend until smooth. This can be done in a blender or by using a stick blender.
5. The soup may need to be re-warmed, this can be done over a low heat.